Saturday, August 10, 2013

Saying goodbye

Today I had to say goodbye to an old friend who passed away from cancer and leukemia.  This was someone I worked with, but she and I were close.  We had our differences, mainly political and lifestyle, but she was genuinely a good person.

After she got sick and had to stop working, I didn't stay in touch with her, which made me feel guilty until it turned into acceptance, especially since she didn't reach out to me either.  She was sick for a while, but I feel like her death was sudden, mainly because I always assumed she would be there, and we would just reconnect...someday.

I've learned a hard lesson, because now the guilt consumes me.  Facing her husband today was so difficult, and honestly, I didn't know what to say to him.  I guess I learned a hard lesson about taking someone for granted, and I hope this doesn't happen again.

Anyway, I'm really glad Chris was there with me, and then we went on a nice, long meandering drive, despite the fact he needed to get some things done.  I love that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment