Thursday, September 29, 2011

2011 Milwaukee Film Festival - Day 5


Wednesday, September 28 - Day Five
4:45pm

I just walked into the screening of Make Believe and lo and behold, there's a guy doing magic tricks right next to the seat I wanted to sit in, so I sat in the seat in front of it (I'm a creature of habit and slightly OCD).  The audience around me was enjoying it but I am just praying that he wouldn't pick on me, so I am sitting here with my steno pad up to my face scribbling these words madly and hoping he gets the hint.  Aha... just found out he's one of the subjects of the film, so that's kind of fun.  I still want him to leave me alone though and not find a quarter in my ear.

7:30pm

Sitting and waiting for Don't Go Breaking My Heart to begin.  Unfortunately, because I chose this film and not the other one starting just before it, I'm going to have about 2 minutes to hit the bathroom and fill up my water bottle before running into the theater.  I'm not sure why they couldn't have scheduled the films even 15 minutes apart, but whatever I guess.  I hope it works out because I'd like to see the late show too. 

I can't lie... I'm getting a little worn down from my schedule, especially when I realized this afternoon I haven't even seen half the films yet that I plan to.  I think people assume it's all fun to go to so many movies during the festival, and it is!  But regular festival attendees don't have to spend hours writing reviews, and right now my life is getting up, sitting down in front of my laptop and writing until I have to get ready to drive back to theater, and try and fit lunch strategically in there so it will sustain me until the next day when I get up and do it all over again.  I'm not complaining, I'm just starting to wear down a bit.  I would love to eventually do this for a living, but since it's not my profession (yet) I'm just going to count my blessings for having the opportunity to do this, keep seeing good movies and writing mediocre reviews.

Anyway, I promised myself I would be zen and goddammit, zen I will be!  Having gone the beatific route (Sindhutai Sapkal would be proud) I can now in the next breath say let's get this friggin' film started please...tick tock.  You're the guys who scheduled films 2 minutes apart.  I'm also wondering if I should tell the theater manager to stop demonstrating how to rip a ballot since no one can see it, or if I should just keep seething about it.  I think I'll go with seething. 

9:40pm

Speaking of seething, you're seeing these words because there wasn't enough time to get into the late screening without having missed something.  Nice one.

No comments:

Post a Comment