Friday, February 5, 2010

Oh Oscar Oscar Oscar...

Well, the nominations were announced seemingly weeks ago, but it's actually only been 3 days, and I'm already mapping out my strategy to see as many Oscar nominated films as I can. Unfortunately, I live in Milwaukee, which seems to have an aversion to foreign films, and where documentary screenings are as rare as Minnesota Vikings fans, so I once again have to pretend that the Best Foreign Film and Documentary categories don't exist.

The good news is that the local theaters have decided to either go wider or in some cases, bring back some films that have been nominated, so I'll have the opportunity to see more than I thought I would.

What I've Seen
Crazy Heart
Up in the Air
A Single Man
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Julie & Julia
Nine
Up
Sherlock Holmes
Bright Star (though I'll fully admit, I walked out of it because it was so lame)
Star Trek
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (LOL)
Precious
An Education
Harry Potter and the Whatever Who-Cares
District 9
Invictus
A Serious Man
The Messenger
The Lovely Bones
Avatar
The Blind Side
Coco Before Chanel
Coraline
The Last Station
Animated and Live Action Shorts
Il Divo
In the Loop

What I Need to See (Based on what is going to be available in the theater or on DVD)
I saw everything!

Hopefully I'll have a significant number of films from the bottom list move to the top list, and that will begin this weekend when I see District 9 tonight and possibly An Education and Precious tomorrow. Next week Jay and I are going to see Invictus and I may make the trek to New Berlin to see The Young Victoria if I'm feeling up to it.

So, that's the charge for the next few weeks - see as many as possible. I always have big ambitions and fall short with a few, but once again, I'm aiming high. Look for reviews of these films in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment