Monday, June 15, 2009

Hairy Krishna

Today personified why I hate doing anything different to my appearance and following it up with work the following day. I not only had to field compliments about it all day (which was nice, yes, yes) but then attempt to explain why I would want to go back to auburn "when my hair is such a nice color..." I really appreciate the compliments - warm and fuzzies are nice and all - but oy vey I hate the attention. It's kind of like when a bunch of people at work surprised me on my birthday by ambushing me on my way in and singing "Happy Birthday". It was super sweet but I'm pretty sure I didn't stop staring at the floor the whole time in a futile attempt to will it to suck me through to the basement at any point thankyouverymuch. But hopefully everyone got it out of their system today... hehe.

Other than that, work was pretty much... work. I felt like I didn't accomplish anything meaningful because I was busy doing necessary grunt work while the piles of meaty projects I have lying everywhere lie dormant. The nice thing is that the work I took home to do last week is yielding me an afternoon off on Thursday, and with Fridays off this summer... it's going to make for something to look forward to at least.

I have a million and one films recorded on the DVR that I just have to make time for, but I find myself not wanting to invest more time than it takes to watch an HGTV or Food Network cooking show I've taped, then the next thing I know it's 2 hours later and I could have easily knocked down a movie. Maybe it will be crappy out this weekend and I won't feel guilty about killing a couple of those movies off the DVR. I've seen a couple of them (In This Our Life, Hannah and Her Sisters) but a couple of them I haven't (Interiors, Rodger Dodger) so we'll see how that goes.

No movies at home for me tomorrow night because I'm pretty sure I'll be catching Angels and Demons at the Times with my parents and brother tomorrow night. I have absolutely no expectations for it, which could be a good thing, considering I couldn't get past the first 40 pages of the book when I tried to read it a couple of years ago upon my brother's recommendation. I'll admit, even though I'm not a big fan of mainstream bestselling books (unless it's written by Doris Kearns Goodwin and involves history) I did enjoy reading The DaVinci Code years back. Too bad the movie was as poor as it was, though again, I don't know what I expected out of it. Ron Howard is like a sub par Steven Spielberg - Unlike Spielberg, who I would never consider to be even remotely one of my favorite directors, but I can appreciate that he makes solid, good movies, Howard is more hit-or-miss. He can make a really great film like Frost/Nixon, but then he makes something like A Beautiful Mind which was just meh. I guess that would be the word I would use to best describe Ron Howard's films: "Meh". No chances taken, nothing out of the ordinary, but decently made and certainly marketable to the masses. In other words, "Meh".

To bed, I'm wiped. Another long day tomorrow and I haven't been sleeping too well, or for too long lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment