Monday, June 22, 2009

The Wizard of Odd

I absolutely love that our weather went from 65 degrees to HOT AS ALL HELL in about three seconds flat.  My transformation into a complete slug has been swift and merciless.  I will admit, a lot of it has to do with the fact that we don't have air conditioning in our new house (yet.  Ah, the joys of living in a house from the 1920's) and we just got a couple of interim fans for the time being.  However, I just have not been motivated to do one thing, even the blogging I promised myself I would do.

The heat did motivate my brother and I to flee to the Times to see ANYTHING in the air conditioning, and that "anything" turned out to be The Wizard of Oz, which is a movie I completely dislike.  I don't think it's because I generally don't like movies skewed to kids because I really liked Night at the Museum 2, enough to see it twice even.  I also don't think it's a matter of having misrembering it as a great movie from my childhood because I never really liked it much as a kid either.  I even tried to give it another shot as an adult when it was re-released ten years ago in the theaters, but it just came across as weird.  And maybe it was because I saw it with a large group of gay friends at that time, but the Tin Man and the Lion seemed awfully gay.

So hell, it was free, and it was air conditioned, so Matt and I went to give it a shot.  After snickering several times we both decided at the end that A) We'd given it a fair shot, B) It was really weird and everyone associated with the film and book must have been high - other than Judy Garland of course, that was a given and C) If Toto hadn't been such a mischievous dog, none of the story would have happened, and ultimately, we would not have been worse the wear.

But then again, we wouldn't have been able to sit with our feet up, eating popcorn and drinking Dr. Pepper in an ice-cold theater on a fiery-hot Saturday afternoon if Toto had just stayed out of Miss Gulch's garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment